Sarah Palin was sucked into the tragic Arizona mass murder story by the mainstream media (MSM) the instant the news hit.

Sarah Palin

If you were accused of being somewhat culpable for such a horrific loss of life, would you feel a need to defend yourself? Of course you would. Ms. Palin did just that:

“Journalists and pundits … should not manufacture a blood libel that serves only to incite the very hatred and violence they purport to condemn.”

She went on to say:

“Acts of monstrous criminality stand on their own. They begin and end with the criminals who commit them, not collectively with all the citizens of a state, not with those who listen to talk radio, not with maps of swing districts used by both sides of the aisle, not with law-abiding citizens who respectfully exercise their First Amendment rights at campaign rallies, not with those who proudly voted in the last election.”

The media’s reaction? NBC’s Amy Walter and Michael Falcone chastised her for her remarks:

“Sarah Palin, once again, has found a way to become part of the story. And she may well face further criticism for the timing and scope of her remarks. She is already taking heat for her use of the term “blood libel.”

The media made the story about Ms. Palin, not the other way around. You know the old saying: “damned if you do, damned if you don’t?” It applies to Ms. Palin when it comes to her treatment by the MSM.

They’re out to get her.

The real story is the victims of a deranged killer. I drove by a church today with their flags at half-mast. Let us come together and pray for the people whose lives have been turned upside down by a lone gunman.

1. Bob Roelf on January 12, 2011 at 5:46 pm

Although I’m not a Sarah Palin fan, I think the treatment of her by progressives and their media lackeys is despicable. But, it’s best to remember that these folks intend to be despicable – they want to agitate those who are on the conservative side of the political spectrum. Honesty, decency, fairness – all such values are irrelevant to the progressive community. They will use any opportunity to pull your chain and raise your blood pressure. They want to upset you, and they want to fool those folks who will believe much of what they hear on TV or read in the newspapers.

Both parties, with the help of the media, have engaged in this kind of ugly propaganda. We are all the poorer for it.

2. quinersdiner on January 12, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I’m curious: who amongst the conservatives do you like, and why?

• Bob Roelf on January 12, 2011 at 6:06 pm

Good question. Read this article, and you may better understand my dilemma.

January 12, 2011, 3:49 pm
      Founder of ‘Civility Project’ Calls It Quits
      By LAURIE GOODSTEIN

Just as Americans are debating whether untamed political rhetoric inspired the shooting of a congresswoman in Arizona, the founder of a project to promote civility in politics is calling it quits because only three elected members of Congress agreed to sign a rudimentary “Civility Pledge.”

Mark DeMoss, a Republican and a prominent evangelical Christian who runs a public relations firm in Atlanta, initiated CivilityProject.org in January 2009 because of alarm over what he saw as the increasingly vicious tone in American politics. He asked his friend, Lanny J. Davis, a Jewish Democrat and a lobbyist who worked for President Bill Clinton, to join the effort.

They sent out 585 letters asking every sitting governor and member of Congress to sign a pledge that said:

I will be civil in my public discourse and behavior.

I will be respectful of others whether or not I agree with them.

I will stand against incivility when I see it.

Mr. DeMoss said he in an interview that he is now folding the project after spending two years and about $30,000 in expenses on the endeavor. Three legislators had signed the pledge. They were Senator Joseph I. Lieberman, independent of Connecticut; Representative Frank Wolfe, Republican of Virginia; and Representative Sue Myrick, Republican of North Carolina.

In a letter written on Jan. 3 to the three, Mr. DeMoss said, “I must admit to scratching my head as to why only three members of Congress, and no governors, would agree to what I believe is a rather low bar.”

Mr. DeMoss, a former aide to Moral Majority founder Rev. Jerry Falwell and an unpaid adviser to Republican Gov. Mitt Romney in the 2008 presidential campaign, said that he was particularly surprised by the hostility to the civility pledge from conservatives.

“The worst e-mails I received about the civility project were from conservatives with just unbelievable language about communists, and some words I wouldn’t use in this phone call,” he said. “This political divide has become so sharp that everything is black and white, and too many conservatives can see no redeeming value in any liberal or Democrat. That would probably be true about some liberals going the other direction, but I didn’t hear from them.”

Mr. DeMoss said he was not convinced that there is a link between vicious political attacks and violent acts, but he added, “Whether or not there’s violence, whether or not incivility today is worse than it’s been in history, it’s all immaterial. It’s worse than it ought to be.”

• Bob Roelf on January 12, 2011 at 7:25 pm

Tom, I ducked your question. Who, amongst the conservative do I like. I’ll give you a few names. Unfortunately, most of them are unavailable. I can think of more when I’m not so tired.

Ronald Reagan
      William Buckley
      H.R. Gross
      Gov. Chris Christie (N.J.)

Why do I like them? Because I truely believe they were/are honest and ethical men who believe that big government is our biggest threat to freedom.

3. Bob Zimmerman on January 13, 2011 at 8:27 am