The Des Moines Register ran a Quiner’s Diner post from a few days ago in today’s print and online editions: “Ryan’s federal budget plan is bold and compassionate.”

Tom Quiner’s article in today’s Des Moines Register was referenced on Congressman Paul Ryan’s Facebook page.

I’m pleased to note that Congressman Ryan’s office got wind of it and posted it on his Facebook page.

I clearly riled up a lot of folks by invoking the word “compassionate” in describing his budget. It is compassionate because it maintains our social safety net while still being sustainable.

On the other hand, President Obama’s budget is not sustainable, according to the Congressional Budget Office. Nothing compassionate about profligacy.

1. Tom Maly on June 26, 2012 at 5:12 pm

That is a great column, Tom! Thanks for fighting the good fight. i think the president’s budgets are “O fers” as in O in favor and hundreds against. And we are supposed to take his economic comments seriously!?! C’mon!!!

• quinersdiner on June 26, 2012 at 5:28 pm

Thanks for writing, Tom. I appreciate the kind words.

2. maxine Bechtel on June 27, 2012 at 7:00 am

CONGRATULATIONS, TOM! It isn’t easy to break into print with well-reasoned, conservative thinking these days (ask me!) and HOPEFULLY, you can convince some of the truth! Keep on keeping on! 1 Cor. 15:58

• quinersdiner on June 27, 2012 at 9:51 am

Thanks, Maxine. Great to hear from you.

3. Lindsay on June 27, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Congrats, it was a wonderful article. We need to keep pointing out misguided attempts at compassion so we start implementing the real thing.

• quinersdiner on June 27, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Thanks for writing. I am very much enjoying your blog.

4. Curt Smith on June 28, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Mr. Quiner,
    In your recent DM Register article about the Ryan budget, I was right with you until you stated, “…I am a faithful Catholic who embraces our church’s social justice teachings.” Most of us conservatives define “social justice” as: Taking money from those who have earned it and giving it to those who haven’t.” Where is the justice in that?

As a conservative and a Christian, I’m all for helping the needy as a moral calling to compassion, but not justice. To call it justice is to pervert the meaning of the word.

The only rationale I can come up with to defend the concept of social justice is that different people are born with different advantages/disadvantages, which is not fair/just. So, it is up to us as a society to right the “wrong.” Is that how you see it?

I realize that the Catholic Church is big into “social justice”, and so most Catholics vote for liberal Democrats come election time. How come you’re not a liberal Democrat?

• quinersdiner on June 28, 2012 at 4:23 pm

Hi Curt: Thanks for writing and for probing this vexing issue of “social justice.” Social justice includes a wide variety of issues ranging from abortion to poverty, from immigration to healthcare. An issue like abortion is a non-negotiable principle. Some of the other issues allow prudential decisions on how to best apply the principle. As a conservative, I believe in letting the private sector address more social issues than my liberal friends. I believe in a lower safety net than liberals who seem more focused on making the needy comfortable than independent. Liberals have given social justice a bad name by focusing on fairness and equity at the detriment of creating opportunity. On healthcare, I believe free market solutions can serve society’s needs more effectively and compassionately than Obamacare, to give but one example. That doesn’t mean that I deny the principle of affordable healthcare. In fact, I think it is big government that has screwed things up. You hit the nail with your comment on advantages/disadvantages. You are correct that many Catholics on the Left want to level the playing field through redistribution. Rest assured, that is not a Church position. We debate among ourselves what is the best way to get there. There are plenty of Catholic conservatives working hard to advance free market solutions to accomplish Church principles far more effectively than liberal solutions could ever do.

5. Lisa Bourne on June 28, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Awesome. Conservatism is the real compassion, and fidelity to the Church is the real deal in terms of Catholicism. Paul Ryan for president. Tom Q for V.P.!!