By Tom Quiner
Feminist icon, Hillary Clinton, pursues the presidency on the premise that there is a ‘war on women.’
I beg to differ.
I broach the subject after seeing the photo above released by the Huffington Post. It showcases their editorial board. There is not a man in sight.
Whoops! (Imagine if Fox News was so politically incorrect!)
Statistical disparity is proof of discrimination in progressive ideology. (In fact, it’s not.) But using their standard, the Huffington Post is blatantly discriminating against men.
This is not the only place in which men suffer systemic, economic, and educational discrimination. Here is a hit list of data which suggests it is not a man’s world:
• Affirmative Action programs established state-sanctioned discrimination against men, especially white men, beginning in the 1970s. In liberal eyes, the programs worked, as women now earn between 55% and 60% of bachelor and advanced degrees in our nation’s colleges and universities. And yet these so-called ‘Affirmative Action’ programs continue in spite of negative statistical disparities against men.
• Women constitute 11% more voters than men, and yet men pay 115% of federal income taxes. Hmmm.
• Fortune Magazine claims women own 65% of the country’s wealth.
• The Department of Health and Human Services admits that women gain custody of children in 92% of divorces. Talk about statistical disparity!
• Men put in 60% more hours in the workplace than women. By liberal standards, that suggests they should earn 60% more than women. They don’t. They only earn 42% more than women. Progressives try to turn this around by saying men earn more than women due to discrimination. Nonsense. They work longer hours for a decreasing rate of return on their human capital than women.
• Women outlive men by an average of 7 years. And yet with such a dramatic negative health disparity, it is women that receive 65% of government expenditures on health care and medical costs.
• Men are 4.6 times more likely to commit suicide than women.
• Men comprise 95% of workplace fatalities. Why? They are more likely to pursue dangerous occupations that pay more. Progressives turn this around and suggest a guy working on an oil rig in the middle of the ocean should be paid the same as a high school English teacher.
• According to the Bureau of Justice statistics, women are acquitted of spousal murder at a rate 9 times than that of men. And men’s jail terms are 2.8 times that of women when they are convicted.
I could go on. And on. And on.
I won’t. As a conservative white male, I do care about equality of opportunity for my wife, daughter, sister, granddaughter and women everywhere. The key word is ‘opportunity.’ Progressives embrace a different notion, equality of ‘outcome.’
This sorry philosophy leads to Cuba, Venezuela, the Soviet Union, China, and all the other failed experiments in socialism and communism.
The statistics I site above can be explained in many cases to reduce the appearance of discrimination. Liberals, though, love to use the sledge hammer of statistical disparity to increase government control over our lives … when it suits their purpose.
As the Huffington Post editorial board reveals above, they would be well-advised to change the first word of their publication to a different word, which also begins with ‘H’.