999177_215622648594816_1841485095_nBy Tom Quiner

“Shame on Teapublicans like Tom Quiner that think that wanting a Democratic Congress in 2014 can be separated from the outrage we all suffer because of the government shutdown and the sequester.”

This was the final salvo from a Facebook contact who disagreed with my politics.
Here’s the background. I don’t know this woman, other than she is Catholic and we have a couple of common friends.
She posted the poster above on her Facebook page.
I couldn’t resist:

“Actually, he did have a Democratic Congress when he was sworn in. The unemployment rate was 7.8%. It went up to 9.3%, and didn’t start dropping until Republicans took over the House in January of 2011, at which point it has declined to 7.3% today, which is still way too high. If we can repeal Obamacare, the economy can begin creating full-time jobs once again.”

She responded:

“So you are not in favor of those that have jobs and want to work but can’t because of the shutdown! Shame on you.”

She  responded again twelve seconds later:

“What would Pope Francis tell you?”

And again, this time only nine seconds later:

“The shutdown and sequester are putting back to those numbers and more.”

I calmly  responded:

“The shutdown is irrelevant to your poster above since I assume it refers to the long term jobless recovery under the Obama administration, as opposed to a short term and temporary government shutdown where government workers are going to receive backpay.”

Her reply:

“They can not be separated.”

I said:

“What would Pope Francis tell me? To be true to Catholic principle, which includes electing public officials who will stand up for the sanctity of life.”

The shrill level ratcheted up:

“So you’re in favor of joblessness, illness and oppression like all Teapublicans.”

And she got even shriller:

“You’d take my social security check of $1219.00 and my health care. And you call yourself a christian. NOT.”

At this point, my wife was calling me for dinner. I could tell this exchange would continue as long as I continued to respond, so I ended it with:

“Get help, Nancy.”

She wasn’t done, though:

“You are the one living in lala land.”

And again:

“The truth hurts; doesnt it?”

It finally ended with personal attack she made above as a brand new post.
I almost never initiate politics on Facebook. On very rare occasion, I will respond to someone else. This was one of those occasions.
I presented facts and figures and got back emotional personal attacks.
Another day in the life on Facebook.

1. Bob Zimmerman on October 14, 2013 at 8:47 am

Obama’s approval rating is at 37%, which tells me that over one third of Americans are dropping acid on a continuous basis.

• quinersdiner on October 14, 2013 at 9:29 am

I don’t get it. Your explanation is the best one I’ve heard yet.

• JoeC on October 14, 2013 at 10:17 am

37% would be big news if not for the fact that Republicans have single digit approval ratings.

2. Lisa bourne on October 14, 2013 at 8:52 am

God bless you Tom for your persistence and continued patience with this. You’re a better man than most for putting up with it a) and b) remaining charitable in the face of insanity.

• quinersdiner on October 14, 2013 at 9:29 am

Thank-you, Lisa, I appreciate it.

3. sally1137 on October 14, 2013 at 9:31 am

That picture she posted is the dumbest thing I’ve seen all week. But wait. It’s Monday. i’m sure more stupidity will be out there shortly.

• quinersdiner on October 14, 2013 at 9:54 am

Yes, it didn’t make much sense to me either.

• sally1137 on October 14, 2013 at 11:50 am

I got to worrying that you would think I meant you. glad you didn’t. FYI, you prompted me to join our local right to life group.

4. JoeC on October 14, 2013 at 10:15 am

Unrelated but I wanted to see if you watched the specials they had on Malala Yousafzai this weekend. She is the Pakistani girl who was shot in the face by the Taliban regime for advocating girls be educated among other things.
    In the past you have written many articles about peaceful Muslims needing to stand up to those who advocate violence. It would seem she is one who has.

• quinersdiner on October 14, 2013 at 10:23 am

Saw a quick blurb. God love her for standing up.

5. Tom Maly on October 14, 2013 at 1:07 pm

For amusement, it would be interesting to see mainstream media reaction when George Bush’s approval rating tanked to 35 or 40%. Obama at <40% — "Ho hum!!!"

6. JoeC on October 14, 2013 at 4:10 pm

House Rules Committee chairman, Congressman Pete Sessions, R-Texas, the author of H.R. 368 passed September 30th which changes the rules so only the Republican Majority Leader can call for a vote. Apparently even the Speaker could not have called for a vote. Normally, any member of Congress can call for a vote.
    I don’t understand how you can defend the actions of these Republicans and still complain about the effects of the shutdown. How would you feel if Democrats decided to shutdown the government until Republicans agreed to major gun control? How would that be any different?

• quinersdiner on October 14, 2013 at 5:26 pm

If you’re suggesting that Republicans play politics sometimes, you’re correct. They are rank amateurs compared to Pelosi and Reid and their ilk. How else could Obamacare have passed?

7. abcinsc on October 14, 2013 at 5:04 pm

You can’t fix stupid… or argue with low information voters.

8. […] This is the mantra of liberals, as discussed in my earlier post today. […]

9. justturnright on October 15, 2013 at 1:42 pm

THE primary reason I am not on F.B.: more Leftist idiots there than anywhere in the country, …save your average college campus.
    Kinda scary, actually…

• quinersdiner on October 15, 2013 at 1:55 pm

I like to keep an eye on things and occasionally challenge folks. The results always produce rich blog material;-)

• justturnright on October 15, 2013 at 1:57 pm

NO argument there, Tom!
        😀
        I have my fill on Twitter, where at least the numbers are not quite as lopsided (not yet, at least).