The Grand Canyon is closed.
The Park Service employees are furloughed because of the Continuing Resolution impasse.
Jan Brewer, the Governor of Arizona, offered a simple solution. Her state would pick up the tab to fund park staffers until the impasse is resolved:

“I offered to reopen the Grand Canyon to visitors by using state money, but federal officials declined my offer. I really shouldn’t be surprised that the Obama Administration doesn’t want Arizona’s help.”

The president said no.
He is not interested in compromise. He wants to destroy Republicans, and he can only accomplish that if the little guy (us) feels pain.

1. JoeC on October 4, 2013 at 11:51 am

“I appreciate the support and I thanked them for the offer, but it’s not an offer we can accept,” said park superintendent Dave Uberuaga.
    You specifically write “The president said no”. When and where did he say this? Are you saying that President Obama personally contacted park superintendent Dave Uberuaga on this matter? Did he talk directly to Jan Brewer?
    You wrote “More proof the president wants to hurt you”. I don’t see the proof. I think if you had substituted “Politicians in Washington” most people would agree, but you didn’t, I assume because that doesn’t fit your agenda.
    The solution is simple. The Speaker needs to do his job and let the Senate’s bill be voted on.
    “Thou shalt not bear false witness”

• quinersdiner on October 4, 2013 at 12:05 pm

Joe, I’m getting a bellyful of this “thou shalt not bear false witness” mantra of yours. Harry Truman said, “the buck stops here.” Obama is the boss of the government. You can choose to believe he is oblivious to the decisions being made by his White House staff, and that the buck stops elsewhere. If you do, you are being disingenuous at best.
      For the record, the House did their job.
      Congress sneakily passed Obamacare in 2009 as part of a “budget reconciliation” process, which was a lie. They did it to avoid a filabuster.
      Since that’s the way they played it, Republicans today are simply playing the game with them by not funding it, although they are willing to fund everything else. Let’s face it, the numbers presented by Democrats to justify Obamacare have been proven false, according to the CBO, once we found out what is REALLY in Obamacare.
      In other words, Democrats didn’t shoot straight with the American people, and that is a truthful witness.

• doctorjohn on October 4, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Well said.
        There is no getting to Joe though.
        He’s a TRUE OBAMA FOLLOWER

• JoeC on October 4, 2013 at 6:07 pm

Even Ben Stein has come out on my side, and you can’t get much more conservative than that.

2. nickcthompson on October 5, 2013 at 9:08 am

What a disingenuous offer. I can think of about a million reasons why that wouldn’t work logistically. Heck of a lot more to running a national park than paying rangers. Of course the offer was declined.
    Glad the polling reflects that the American people aren’t falling for this damage control narrative that Democrats own the shutdown. Tea Party Republicans wanted a shutdown and that’s what they got. They are the ones trying to inflict pain on the public.

• quinersdiner on October 5, 2013 at 10:17 am

And yet it is Republicans who keep passing funding bills, each rejected by a party that refuses to negotiate.